Saturday, November 12, 2011

A Copy Cat

"Imitation is the greatest form of flattery."  So, why am I slightly pissed and greatly annoyed that someone else re-built the rock sculpture at Ardmore Ave. and Lancaster Ave.? And, especially, that it's not been knocked down?  What?  Is this a better built, more aesthetic sculpture than the one's I make?  (I think not!)  Has this person found the Rosetta Stone for preventing people from knocking down the sculpture?  (Or is this actually the person who has been knocking them down?)  Yes, I've left it up.  Why should I strain my fractured rib to re-build it, even though it's not what I would have made.  When (and if) it does fall, I'll be there to make something I like.  (Like the one at Media Lima Dental Associates which is pictured below.)



The sculpture in Ardmore is a pile of rocks, starting with the four largest rocks as a base.  It then builds up to smaller and smaller rocks like a four sided pyramid.  The viewer who comes east on Lancaster Ave. doesn't get to see much of anything till they get directly nest to the sculpture.  The sculpture in Media is more open.  It can be enjoyed from different viewing positions.  It requires greater skill at balancing the rocks, giving a more aesthetic, interesting appearance.



Oh, yeah, I guess I am more than slightly pissed.  I should just get over it.  After all, they're only a pile of rocks.  BUT THEY'RE MY PILE OF ROCKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment