Friday, March 11, 2011

Japan Destroyed By Huge Earthquake - Main Line Times Interviews Me

On the same day that Japan is devastated by the largest earthquake to ever hit it, Pete Bannon of the Main line Times does a video interview of me working on my rock sculptures.  One must look at life in the proper perspective.  This interview had been planned for months, while the earthquake, and it's after-effect tsunami, only occurred hours ago.  So, Pete and I went with the bigger story.
Let me first say how stressed I get by being in front of a camera.  I feel like I'm in a tsunami, and function like an illiterate at Harvard.  Pete was very good and helped me to remember my name and why we were at the Wynnewood Train Station.  He assured me that our news story would garner as much press, if not more, than the Japan earthquake.  Hey, he's the official news media, don't they always tell the truth?  (We can debate that at another time.)
We started out with the big sculpture at the train station, as part of it had fallen down.  Yes. the earthquake was that big.  No, of course, it wasn't, but the storm that had come through yesterday was a corker.  So I'm out there re-building the rock sculpture still rattled by Pete's presence, the camera and the questions.  Forget multi-tasking, I'm lucky that I don't knock the whole thing down and have to start from scratch.
I finally get something up, and took Pete to the Ginza Restaurant to touch-up that one.  While he's filming me do my rock magic, a car pulls in and the lady driving stops me to ask if I'm "the one" who does the rock sculptures.  Bless you Julia Weekes for praising my work and saving me from having to answer more of Pete's questions.  Where did you say you wanted me to send your check?  No, honestly, she just appeared out of the tsunami to help me make this an awesome video.
Pete had finally had enough, and drove over to the gas station, while I went on the the Hamper Shop.  I felt it needed an up-grade from what I had previously done.  Pete came over from the gas station and shot a few more photos.  He didn't stay to see the final result which was a shame because it was the best of the day.  http://www.mainlinemedianews.com/articles/2011/03/14/main_line_times/news/doc4d7e4934143c1801762790.txt

No comments:

Post a Comment