Friday, April 6, 2012

Adding Injury To Insult

I'm accustomed to returning to find my rock sculpture knocked down and scattered all over the ground.  Yesterday morning, however, not only was it knocked down and scattered, but some low-life took the long, rectangular, marble block that I used so often as a base for the rest of the sculpture.  The thing must weigh between 40 and 50 pounds.  That's like 20 kilos for all of you in Europe who follow my blog. 
Ouch.  It really hurts to know someone feels the pieces are worth more than the whole.  Fortunately, my driveway is lined with rocks with which I can replace (but never duplicate) this big, beautiful block.  Ah well, such is the life of an artiste.  We must suffer in order to produce our art.  I shall carry on with my craft using the materials I have in order to express some unique beauty to the world.  (You know people get paid good money to write this kind of BS.)




Maybe I shouldn't make it so easy to knock the sculptures down.  After all, the rocks are merely balanced one upon another.  Well, actually they are placed with precision and skill, using an aesthetic eye and keen knowledge of physics and static dynamics.  Many of the travelers on Lancaster Avenue stopped and commented on my work.  "What's it mean?", was a frequently asked question.  (Whereas it likely means that I'm nuts and probably dangerous, so bug off before I throw this rock at you!)




Now, for those of you who can't tell, these photos are of two different structures using the new rock as a base.  They're both quite nice, though I never seem to please the Rock Tumblers.  We'll see what tomorrow brings, or more likely, what is left of the remaining rocks.

It's a new day, Sunday April 8th, Easter, and again the rock sculpture was knocked down with some rocks thrown further afield.  Since I was "afield", I brought back a 2 inch thick 3 foot wide slab of slate from the nether regions of the lot.  It's so effin' big that I was at a loss as to how to use it when I placed it on the lower blocks.  It covered all of them.  Well, below are the initial results using this new piece.  After the sculpture gets knocked down and re-built a few times, I'll have a better feel of how it should be integrated into the sculpture.



No comments:

Post a Comment